You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and your Help Scout data to display your help desk metrics on a dashboard.
This article includes:
- Options for visualizing my Help Scout data
- Connecting my Help Scout data in Klipfolio
- Adding a Help Scout pre-built or custom-built data source
- Creating a Help Scout data source from scratch
- Creating a Help Scout custom Klip
What options do I have for visualizing my Help Scout data?
Create data visualizations based on pre-built options or build your own. The choice is yours!
Pre-built by Klipfolio
Take advantage of our pre-built data sources to gather the data most meaningful to you.
- Help Scout pre-built data sources: Data sources provide the foundation for Klip building, so we suggest you create a data source as a first step (before building Klips and adding them to your dashboard). Our pre-built data sources focus on the most sought-after Help Scout data and are found on the Service Connectors page, available from this link or from the Library. When you select a service connector from this page, the data source for that service is automatically added.
Custom-built by you
Taking the time to learn how to create your own data sources and Klips unlocks your data and enables you to control, manipulate, and transform it, leading you to unprecedented insights into your business.
- Custom data sources: When you create a custom data source, you can either use the pre-built data source as a starting point from which to write your own query or you can write your own queries from the ground up and build a data source from scratch. You create custom-built data sources in the Service Connectors page, accessible from this link or from the Library.
- Custom Klips: Using our Klip Editor, you can construct and manipulate your data, including integrating multiple data sources, to produce unique, custom-built data visualizations. You create custom Klips from either your Library or your Dashboard.
Regardless of whether you choose pre-built, custom-built, or a combination of both, before you can start building Klips and dashboards you need to connect to Help Scout data in Klipfolio.
How do I connect to Help Scout data in Klipfolio?
Help Scout provides two API Keys: the API Key and the Docs API Key. To connect your Help Scout data to Klipfolio, you will need the API Key, not the docs API Key.
How do I find my Help Scout API Key?
To find your Help Scout API Key:
- Log into your Help Scout account.
- Click on the Account icon (it looks like a person).
- Select Your Profile.
- From the left side navigation menu, select Authentication.
- Select the API Keys tab.
- At Help Scout API, either click Generate an API Key, or copy your Help Scout API Key.
Important! Do not use your Docs API Key.
How do I add a Help Scout pre-built or custom-built data source?
To add a Help Scout pre-built or custom-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page in Klipfolio and choose Help Scout from the list.
- Select a pre-built data source from the left section of the Pick a Data Request page. Alternatively, if you want to create a custom-built data source, click Create a custom Help Scout data source.
- At Enter your Help Scout API Key, enter your API Key.
- At Enter any text, such as X, enter anything in the text box.
- Click Next Step.
- Adjust the Query URL information, as noted on the Configure Data Source page, to replace any generic placeholder data with your own.
- If you are creating a custom-built data source, edit the Query URL further to return the data you need. Refer to the Help Scout API documentation for details.
- Click Get Resource.
If you want to edit a data source that you already created, check out How to edit or reconfigure a data source, and get step-by-step instructions.
How do I create a Help Scout data source from scratch?
You can choose to build a data source from scratch. Klipfolio connects to hundreds of services in the cloud that have a REST API. If you take the time to learn your service’s API to create queries for the data you want, your possibilities are endless. Here’s a quick overview video on APIs and Klipfolio:
If you need assistance using APIs, enlist a data analyst or developer.
Refer to the Help Scout API documentation to discover more data requests.
When you are happy with your query, click Get Resource, and then save and name your new data source. You're now ready to use it to build a Help Scout Klip.
See the reference table below for API related information and sample queries.
|API Documentation||Help Scout API documentation|
|Basic HTTP Authentication|
For Conversation Volume (Last 30 Days):
Example dynamic date format for the last 30 days and previous 60 days:
How do I create a Help Scout custom Klip?
You create custom Klips from either your Library or your Dashboard. You choose a data visualization format, for example, a pie chart, gauge, or table, and decide whether you want to use an existing data source or create a new one. In the Klip Editor, there are limitless opportunities to modify, relate, and display your data. See the following related articles for more information and get building!