OAuth Token authentication is an open standard for authentication and is used as a security measure when retrieving data from web services. Many third-party services require an OAuth token to be passed with the API request to ensure that the server requesting the data is safe.
When working with Klipfolio, OAuth tokens will be generated upon request as part of the connection workflow. They are stored for future use in your account, under Account > Connected Accounts. This is also where you manage your OAuth tokens (view, share, re-authorize, and delete).
Connecting to your data using the REST/URL connector
To connect to your data using the REST/URL connector, you need to do the following:
- Start the data source creation process in Klipfolio.
- Write a query (request URL) by referring to the service provider's developer documentation.
- Enter the request URL into Klipfolio.
Step 1: Start the data source creation process
- Click Data Sources in the left navigation bar.
- Click the Create a New Data Source button.
- Select the REST/URL option.
Step 2: Write a query
Begin by going to the developer documentation for the service provider you would like to retrieve data from.
Some API connection requests are free and open to the public. However, depending on the service provider, you may need to:
- Have an account with the service provider.
- Contact the service provider to grant you API request permissions.
- Contact the service provider to receive an authentication token.
- Pay an API access fee.
Step 3: Enter the request URL into Klipfolio
Once you have completed your API request, you can copy and paste your URL into the REST/URL connector in Klipfolio.
In the REST/URL connector, ensure that you:
- Copy and paste the URL call from the REST/URL into Klipfolio.
- Choose the appropriate Data Format (XML,CSV, Excel, or JSON).
- Expand the Authentication (OAuth, 2-Step, X-WSSE, or Basic) menu.
- Under Type, select the option OAuth Token.
Learn more about OAuth authentication
- Why did my OAuth token expire?
- Managing OAuth tokens for connected accounts
- Why does Klipfolio need special permissions to connect my service accounts?
- Setting up redirection of OAuth authentication to another domain