Important things to know when working with dynamic data sources:
- You cannot reconfigure or duplicate an existing non-dynamic data source. Dynamic data sources must be created from scratch.
- Dynamic data sources should NOT be used to implement security. They are variable driven and variable values can be accessed through different features, for example, permalinks, where all the variables and values are included in the URL. If you want to implement security to prevent users from accessing your data, create a specific data source with the parameters and values set in the data source definition, without using variables.
If you have a Klip that uses dynamic data sources which is not displaying the expected data, you can investigate the dynamic data sources using the About this Data Source and debug_info pages:
- Click Data Sources in the left navigation bar.
- From the list of data sources displayed, select the dynamic data source to open its About this Data Source page. A data source can be identified as dynamic if the Download Data option is not displayed.
- In the URL displayed in the browser address bar, replace view with debug_info.
- Scroll down to the Instances section. This is a list of the individual dynamic data source instances, each with its unique ID, variable (prop:<variable>) setting and refresh information.
- Check for dynamic data source instances with the following issues:
- invalid or missing variable setting
- empty last refresh value
- click data to view the dynamic data source instance and assess the contents
- click x to delete the dynamic data source instance (this will delete only the specific instance, not the entire data source)
- click refresh to refresh the dynamic data source instance
Dynamic data sources with multiple variables
Dynamic data sources can have multiple variables associated with them. If these variables are set to an invalid combination, an invalid data source instance will be created. To prevent invalid combinations of variables, the User Input Control components that set these variables should be associated with a Button component configured to co-ordinate the setting of these variables.
For additional assistance debugging dynamic data sources, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Working with dynamic data sources
- Converting Google Analytics static date ranges to dynamic date ranges