|API Key is an umbrella term that covers different methods for generating an authentication token in order to perform an API call. Typically, this method will require you to generate or request an API Key from a service provider to use in subsequent API calls. That API Key will need to be included as part of the request URL.
|When the API key is retrieved from a service provider, it is used in the API call in a format as specified by that service. For example, you may be required to use the API key as a query parameter or as a username and password.
Connecting to your data source using the REST/URL connector
To connect to your data using the REST/URL connector, you need to do the following:
- Start the data source creation process in Klipfolio.
- Write a query (request URL) by referring to the service provider's developer documentation.
- Enter the request URL into Klipfolio.
Step 1: Start the data source creation process
- Click Data Sources in the left navigation sidebar.
If you don’t see the above option, go to the bottom of the left navigation sidebar and click your Account Name > Data Sources instead.
- Click the Create a New Data Source button.
- Select the REST/URL connector option.
Step 2: Write an API query
Begin by going to the developer documentation for the service provider you would like to retrieve data from.
Some API connection requests are free and open to the public, however, depending on the service provider, you may need to:
- Have an account with the service provider.
- Contact the service provider to grant you API request permissions.
- Contact the service provider to receive an authentication token.
- Pay an API access fee.
Step 3: Enter the request URL into Klipfolio
Once you have completed your API request, you can copy and paste your URL into the REST/URL connector in Klipfolio.
In the REST/URL connector, ensure that you:
- Copy and paste the URL call from the REST/URL into Klipfolio.
- Choose the appropriate Data format (XML,CSV, Excel, or JSON).
- Expand the Authentication (OAuth, 2-Step, X-WSSE, or Basic) menu.
- Under Type, select the option None.