You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and your Desk.com data to display your help desk metrics on a dashboard.
This article includes:
- Options for visualizing my Desk.com data
- Connecting my Desk.com data in Klipfolio
- Adding a Desk.com pre-built or custom-built data source
- Creating a Desk.com data source from scratch
- Creating a Desk.com custom Klip
What options do I have for visualizing my Desk.com data?
Create data visualizations based on pre-built options or build your own. The choice is yours!
Pre-built by Klipfolio
Take advantage of our pre-built data sources to gather the data most meaningful to you.
- Desk.com pre-built data sources: Data sources provide the foundation for Klip building, so we suggest you create a data source as a first step (before building Klips and adding them to your dashboard). Our pre-built data sources focus on the most sought-after Desk.com data and are found on the Service Connectors page, available from this link or from your list of data sources. When you select a service connector from this page, the data source for that service is automatically added.
Custom-built by you
Taking the time to learn how to create your own data sources and Klips unlocks your data and enables you to control, manipulate, and transform it, leading you to unprecedented insights into your business.
- Custom data sources: When you create a custom data source, you can either use the pre-built data source as a starting point from which to write your own query or you can write your own queries from the ground up and build a data source from scratch. You create custom-built data sources in the Service Connectors page, accessible from this link or from your list of data sources.
- Custom Klips: Using our Klip Editor, you can construct and manipulate your data, including integrating multiple data sources, to produce unique, custom-built data visualizations. You create custom Klips from either your list of Klips or your Dashboard.
Regardless of whether you choose pre-built, custom-built, or a combination of both, before you can start building Klips and dashboards you need to connect to Desk.com data in Klipfolio.
How do I connect to Desk.com data in Klipfolio?
To connect your Desk.com data to Klipfolio, you will need your Desk.com username and password as well as your site name.
To get the right data from Desk.com, you use your Desk.com site name in the queries provided by Klipfolio or in your own query when building data sources.
How do I find my Desk.com site name?
To find your Desk.com site name:
- Log into your Desk.com account.
- Your site name can be found in the URL at the top of the page in this location:
- Use your site name in your Desk.com query in Klipfolio.
How do I add a Desk.com pre-built or custom-built data source?
To add a Desk.com pre-built or custom-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page in Klipfolio and choose Desk.com from the list.
- Select a pre-built data source from the left section of the Pick a Data Request page. Alternatively, if you want to create a custom-built data source, click Create a custom Desk.com data source.
- Enter your Desk.com username and password and click Next Step.
- Adjust the Query URL information, as noted on the Configure Data Source page, to replace any generic placeholder data with your own.
- If you are creating a custom-built data source, edit the Query URL further to return the data you need. Refer to the Desk.com API documentation for details.
- Click Submit.
If you want to edit a data source that you already created, check out How to edit or reconfigure a data source, and get step-by-step instructions.
How do I create a Desk.com data source from scratch?
You can choose to build a data source from scratch. Klipfolio connects to hundreds of services in the cloud that have a REST API. If you take the time to learn your service’s API to create queries for the data you want, your possibilities are endless. Here’s a quick overview video on APIs and Klipfolio:
If you need assistance using APIs, enlist a data analyst or developer.
Refer to the Desk.com API documentation to discover more data requests.
When you are happy with your query, click Submit, and then save and name your new data source. You're now ready to use it to build a Desk.com Klip.
See the reference table below for API related information and sample queries.
|API Documentation||Desk.com API documentation|
|Basic HTTP Authentication|
If you selected Create a Custom Desk.com Data Source and not a pre-built query from the list, you will need to set up a POST request to get data with a date range.
Here is a body parameter that you can use to get you started. Refer to Desk.com API documentation to learn more.
Example POST request body parameter with date format:
To see how the query parameters is configured in Klipfolio, see this screenshot.
For a list of pending cases:
For a list of new high priority cases:
How do I create a Desk.com custom Klip?
You create custom Klips from either your list of Klips or your Dashboard. You choose a data visualization format, for example, a pie chart, gauge, or table, and decide whether you want to use an existing data source or create a new one. In the Klip Editor, there are limitless opportunities to modify, relate, and display your data. See the following related articles for more information and get building!