|Overview||Basic HTTP authentication is an authentication method that requires valid credentials to be passed as part of the API call. In most cases, requesters need to provide a username and password in the URL request. Requesters receive a key in return that is used as either a query or a header parameter.|
|Username||Credentials that identify your account|
|Password||Verifies the authenticity of your account|
Connecting to your data using the REST/URL connector
To connect to your data using the REST/URL connector, you need to do the following:
- Start the data source creation process in Klipfolio.
- Write a query (request URL) by referring to the service provider's developer documentation.
- Enter the request URL into Klipfolio.
Step 1: Start the data source creation process
- Click Data Sources in the left navigation sidebar.
If you don’t see the above option, go to the bottom of the left navigation sidebar and click your Account Name > Data Sources instead.
- Click the Create a New Data Source button.
- Select the REST/URL connector option.
Step 2: Write a query
Begin by going to the developer documentation for the service provider you would like to retrieve data from.
Some API connection requests are free and open to the public. However, depending on the service provider, you may need to:
- Have an account with the service provider.
- Contact the service provider to grant you API request permissions.
- Contact the service provider to receive an authentication token.
- Pay an API access fee.
Step 3: Enter the request URL into Klipfolio
Once you have completed your API request, you can copy and paste your URL into Klipfolio's REST/URL connector.
In the REST/URL connector, ensure that you:
- Copy and paste the URL call from the service provider into Klipfolio.
- Choose the appropriate Data Format (XML,CSV, Excel, or JSON).
- Expand the Authentication (OAuth, 2-Step, X-WSSE, or Basic) menu.
- Under Type, select the option Basic HTTP.