If you are using our Metric Klips™ BETA functionality, we would love to hear from you! Please send us your feedback by contacting email@example.com or by contributing via our Community Forum.
For an informative introduction to Metric Klips, check out this video:
- What is a metric?
- Why Metric Klips?
- What you need to know about the BETA release
- Getting started with Metric Klips
What is a metric?
Every area of business has specific performance metrics that should be monitored. For example, marketers may track marketing and social media metrics, such as campaign statistics, sales teams may monitor sales performance metrics, such as new opportunities and leads, and executives may focus primarily on the big picture financial metrics.
A metric is a quantifiable value that’s used to track and assess the status of a specific business process. Metrics can be simple, like employee count or revenue, or more sophisticated, where the result is based on calculations or aggregations, for example, revenue per employee or Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC).
Metrics represent the numerical values you want to track, like revenue, employee count, and transaction count. As an example, the CAC metric represents the relationship between a) the number of customers and b) the costs associated with Sales and Marketing.
When you create a metric, you choose dimensions by which to segment and filter your data, enabling you to see your business performance from different perspectives. For example, you might choose to segment your sales data based on region, sales rep, or product type. Dimensions provide context for the numerical values in your metric.
Why Metric Klips?
Have you ever wanted to:
- Compare current to historical data to see trends over time?
Build a complete story by comparing metric values over time and comparing data between different time periods. See trends and learn from the past and the present!
- Gain insights into your data through interactive exploration?
With Metric Klips, you can dig into your data, trying out different visualization types, applying various date ranges, and choosing unique ways to segment and filter your data. It's quick and easy and you can see the impact of your choices while you experiment and explore!
When you identify which metrics are most meaningful to your company’s success, and then track those metrics, you have constant access to current and historical information, enabling you to make timely, impactful decisions.
What do I need to know about the BETA release?
Okay! I want to create some Metric Klips and start learning more about my data. What do I need to know about the BETA release?
During the BETA period, we will continue to evolve Metric Klips. In the initial phase of BETA, there will be a few constraints (noted below):
- When you share a Metric Klip®, all users in your account who have access to Metric Klips are granted "View" access. We are working on a sharing feature that will enable you to share with individual users and grant "Edit" access, as well as "View". Stay tuned!
- There is a limit of 10 Metric Klips per account.
- When exploring your metrics, you can add up to 5 dimensions to each Metric Klip.
- Light and dark theme and custom theming are not supported for Metric Klips.
- Metric Klips are derived from modelled data sources. If you have an existing data source you want to use for your metric, you must model it before creating a metric. Learn more about modelled data sources here.
Getting started with Metric Klips
Choosing your key metrics and then building and tracking them can be educational and rewarding.
Here are some steps to follow on your metric journey:
- Discover which metrics you should track.
Choosing which metrics to track is not always a "one-size-fits-all" decision, however, there are several key metrics that offer benefits to everyone. We've gathered some great information about key metrics that can help you decide which ones are the best fit for you. Learn more about key metrics here.
- Add a Metric Klip in Klipfolio® and connect to your data.
Choose from our list of defined metrics or create your own custom Metric Klips. Metric Klips are created based on a modelled data source. If you have an existing data source you want to use for your metric, you must model it before creating a Metric Klip.
- Explore your Metric Klip - customize and experiment with its display.
This is the fun part where you get to experiment and play with your Metric Klip! Apply different time ranges, choose a different visualization type, mix and match by segmenting and filtering - and see the impact of each of your selections as you explore.
- Monitor your Metric Klips every day.
Now that you have some meaningful metrics - don't forget about them! Display and interactively explore your Metric Klips on a Klipboard™. Checking your Metric Klips every day ensures you are always involved and aware. Regularly monitoring your key metrics can transform your business and lead to success!