If you are using our Metric Klips™ BETA functionality, we would love to hear from you! Please send us your feedback by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org< or by contributing via our Community Forum.
For a quick introduction to exploring Metric Klips, watch this video:
After you create a Metric Klip®, the discovery process begins! If you haven't created a Metric Klip yet, go here to learn how.
What do I need to know about the BETA release?
During the BETA period, we will continue to evolve Metric Klips. In the initial phase of BETA, there will be a few constraints (noted below):
- To create, edit, or delete a Metric Klip, you must have either an Admin or Editor role. Learn more about roles here.
- When exploring your Metric Klips, you can add up to 5 dimensions to each Metric Klip.
- Light and dark theme and custom theming are not supported for Metric Klips.
Exploring Metric Klips to gain insight
From the Metric Klips List page, you can enter the Explore View, where you can explore your Metric Klip, applying different types of aggregation, experimenting with visualization types, and segmenting your data to break it down and see it from different perspectives. You can also apply filters based on time span (for example, yesterday, today, last 30 days) and compare your displayed data to a previous time period.
When you explore a Metric Klip, you are not altering the underlying metric data - you are selecting different options for viewing and processing the underlying data in an experimental, investigative way.
Changes made to a Metric Klip in the Explore View are remembered and will display in the Explore View the next time you log in.
After you create a Metric Klip, it automatically displays in the Explore View but you can also enter the Explore view from the Metric Klips List page.
To enter the Explore View:
- In the Metrics Klips List page, select the Metric Klip you want to explore.
- Select from the available options on the configuration panel to modify the display of the Metric Klip.
Choosing Metric Klip configuration options
The configuration options available for a Metric Klip depend on the data in the metric and on the type of visualization you choose. When you select options in either the configuration panel or in the Explore View window, the results are instantly displayed.
Configuration options in the configuration panel
The following options display in the configuration panel for a Metric Klip:
- Type - Choose the best visualization to display your data meaningfully. Available visualization types are: bar charts, line charts, pie charts, and scorecards. Note: The line chart displays by default when you create a Metric Klip.
- Break lines for blank values - When there are gaps in data, for example, if data is not refreshed during a time period, you can choose to break the chart lines to show the gaps in data. Alternatively, you can display a continuous line, where a line is drawn between known data points to fill in the gaps. By default, we break lines for blank values but you can deselect this option if you'd rather see a continuous line.
- Aggregation - Choose how you want the Metric Klip's value to be aggregated over time. Available aggregation methods depend on the type of data in your Metric Klip. The selected default aggregation is based on the the choice you made when creating your Metric Klip.
- Show as cumulative - Select this option if you want to view your Metric Klip data as a cumulative sequence. Viewing your Metric Klip data from this perspective illustrates growth over a time period. Note that this option is only available for line charts and only when the aggregation type is either Sum or Count.
- Segment by - Choose the dimension(s) by which you want to segment your data. Breaking down your data enables you to see your business performance from different perspectives. For example, you might choose to segment your sales data based on region, sales rep, or product type.
Note: To optimize clarity in your visualization, we recommend building your Metric Klip using fewer than 20 members. If your Metric Klip includes > 20 members, all members above the first 20 will be grouped together under “Other” in your visualization.
- Over - Choose how you want your data to be grouped. Klipfolio® automatically sets the time periodicity to use for your Metric Klip based on the date range you selected. For example, if you are viewing data for the "Last 12 Months", the data is displayed per month. However, you can override the auto-selected time periodicity by choosing an alternate option from the drop-down list. By default, the x axis displays time but bar charts enable you to select either a time dimension to group by or a non-time-related dimension. Note: This option does not display for pie charts.
- Trend line - To more easily see data trends over time, you can apply a trend line to your visualization. Select Moving Average if you want to smooth out fluctuations in data so you can more clearly gauge patterns and trends. Select Linear if you want to see a straight line, indicating the general direction in which your data is heading. When you select either option, a line is added to your chart. If you also select Show as cumulative, the trend line is drawn using cumulative data. Note: This option is available for bar and line charts.
- Comparisons - Choose to either apply no comparison or to compare your data to a previous period. Comparisons are made between equivalent time period types. For example, if the date range selected is "today", then the previous period will be "yesterday". When you select "Previous period", for line and bar charts, the previous period's data displays in the background as a grey dotted line. For scorecards, the percentage difference between the current value and the previous value (the delta) displays. Green is used for data that has improved and red for data that has regressed. Pie charts do not currently display comparisons to a previous period.
- Filters - Filter your data by selecting the members to include for each dimension. For example, if the dimension is "City", you might choose to filter on "Kingston" and "Ottawa", to see data for those specific cities. See the example below. If your Metric Klip includes a lot of members, you can use the Search feature to quickly find them.
Configuration options in the Explore View window
The following option displays in the Explore View window for a Metric Klip:
- Date range settings - Choose the date range you want to display for your Metric Klip. For example, "Today", "Yesterday", "Last 7 days", "Last 30 days", "This month", "Last month", "Last 12 months", "This year", and "Last year". The default setting is "All Time" with a date range (in brackets) that includes all data for the Metric Klip, from the first data point to the last data point.