If you don’t see Klipfolio Trends options and want to get on the waitlist for our BETA metric functionality, go here.
Klipfolio offers the tools you need to visualize, track, and share the data that’s most important to your business. You can visualize your data with either metrics or Klips - or both! This article describes the benefits of metrics and Klips to help you decide which works best for you - depending on your data and how you want to present, process, and learn from it.
Metric and Klip definitions
A metric is a quantifiable value that's used to track and assess the performance of an area of your business over time. For example, a sales metric may show the trend of how many leads your business has acquired by day/week/month over the past 6 months and a marketing metric may represent the trend in the total traffic to your site over the past two years. You can use a combination of multiple sales, marketing, and financial metrics to gain insight into the health and performance of your business. Metrics are displayed in real-time, representing current values, but can also show the trend over time and have a historic comparison. Learn more about metrics.
A Klip is a visualization on a dashboard that represents data that can be aggregated and calculated through formulas. Klips can consist of single or multiple visualization components, for example, tables, bar charts, and gauges. Visualizations in Klips can be customized and enhanced with calculations and aggregations in the Klip Editor. You display Klips on dashboards to enable you and your team to see related visualizations in one place. Learn more about Klips.
Should I create a metric or a Klip?
Although you can use both metrics and Klips, one may be more suitable for your needs based on features and functionality. To help you decide, here’s a brief description of the value each has to offer:
Metrics offer the ability to:
- Gain understanding of your data using best-practice business metrics
- Retain historical data and do comparisons so you can see trends over time
- Dynamically explore your data trying out different visualization types, applying various date ranges, and choosing unique ways to segment and filter your data
- Remove dependency on formulas and calculations
- Leverage modelled data sources to enable preparation before metric creation
Klips offer the ability to:
- Leverage full customization of your visualizations using formulas
- Display your related and unrelated Klips for your team, all in one place - on a dashboard
- Use the Klip Editor to build customized Klips
- Use either modelled data sources or raw data sources
- Produce scheduled PDF reports to share with others in your company
- Share Klips with individuals within your account and outside your account