You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and your Netbase data to display your social media analytics data on a dashboard.
This article includes:
- Options for visualizing my Netbase data
- Connecting my Netbase data in Klipfolio
- Adding a Netbase pre-built or custom-built data source
- Creating a Netbase data source from scratch
- Creating a Netbase custom Klip
What options do I have for visualizing my Netbase data?
Create data visualizations based on pre-built options or build your own. The choice is yours!
Pre-built by Klipfolio
Take advantage of our pre-built data sources to gather the data most meaningful to you.
- Netbase pre-built data sources: Data sources provide the foundation for Klip building, so we suggest you create a data source as a first step (before building Klips and adding them to your dashboard). Our pre-built data sources focus on the most sought-after Netbase data and are found on the Service Connectors page, available from this link or from your list of data sources. When you select a service connector from this page, the data source for that service is automatically added.
Custom-built by you
Taking the time to learn how to create your own data sources and Klips unlocks your data and enables you to control, manipulate, and transform it, leading you to unprecedented insights into your business.
- Custom data sources: When you create a custom data source, you can either use the pre-built data source as a starting point from which to write your own query or you can write your own queries from the ground up and build a data source from scratch. You create custom-built data sources in the Service Connectors page, accessible from this link or from your list of data sources.
- Custom Klips: Using our Klip Editor, you can construct and manipulate your data, including integrating multiple data sources, to produce unique, custom-built data visualizations. You create custom Klips from either your list of Klips or your Dashboard.
Regardless of whether you choose pre-built, custom-built, or a combination of both, before you can start building Klips and dashboards you need to connect to Netbase data in Klipfolio.
How do I connect to Netbase data in Klipfolio?
To connect your Netbase data to Klipfolio, you will need your API Token and Topic ID.
To get the right data from Netbase, you use your Netbase API Token and Topic ID in the queries provided by Klipfolio or in your own query when building data sources.
How do I find my Netbase API Token and Topic ID?
To find your Netbase API Token:
- Log in to Netbase.
- Click your user name in the top right corner and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click the API Tokens tab.
- If you do not have an API token yet, enter a Token Name and Expiration Days in the appropriate fields and click Generate Token.
- Copy the the token you want from the list.
To find your Netbase Topic ID:
- Log in to Netbase.
- Click the Topics tab at the top of the screen.
- Click the name of your chosen topic. For example, #summer.
- Copy the digits that display at the end of the url for the topic page. This is your Topic ID.
How do I add a Netbase pre-built or custom-built data source?
To create a Netbase custom-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page in Klipfolio and choose Netbase from the list.
- On the Pick a Data Request page, click Create a custom Netbase data source.
- Enter your Netbase API Token and Topic ID.
- Click Submit or, if you want to modify the pre-built data request, click Switch to Custom settings.
Note:If you switch back to the Basic settings page after making changes in the Custom settings page, your changes will not be saved.
If you clicked Switch to Custom settings:
- Edit the Query URL to return the data you need. Refer to the Netbase API documentation for details.
- Click Submit.
Note: In addition to your raw data source, you can create a modelled version of your data source at this stage. To create a modelled data source, ensure that the checkbox next to Model this data source is selected before clicking Continue.
To learn more about creating a modelled data source, click here.
If you want to edit a data source that you already created, check out How to edit or reconfigure a data source, and get step-by-step instructions.
How do I create a Netbase data source from scratch?
You can choose to build a data source from scratch. Klipfolio connects to hundreds of services in the cloud that have a REST API. If you take the time to learn your service’s API to create queries for the data you want, your possibilities are endless. Here’s a quick overview video on APIs and Klipfolio:
If you need assistance using APIs, enlist a data analyst or developer.
Use the Netbase API Explorer to build and test your queries before you use them to bring data into Klipfolio.
Refer to the Netbase API documentation to discover more data requests.
When you are happy with your query, click Submit, and then save and name your new data source. You're now ready to use it to build a Netbase Klip.
See the reference table below for API related information and sample queries.
|API Documentation||Netbase API documentation|
|API Explorer||Netbase API documentation|
|API Key Authentication|
API Limits and Notes
|Rate limits are are allocated by account, not on a user-by-user basis.|
Example date format:
Top 10 Popular Terms:
Total Impressions for Last Day:
How do I create a Netbase custom Klip?
You create custom Klips from either your list of Klips or your Dashboard. You choose a data visualization format, for example, a pie chart, gauge, or table, and decide whether you want to use an existing data source or create a new one. In the Klip Editor, there are limitless opportunities to modify, relate, and display your data. See the following related articles for more information and get building!