You can set up a connection with Klipfolio data to display your Klipfolio metrics on a dashboard.
This article includes:
- Options for visualizing my Klipfolio data
- How do I connect to my Klipfolio data?
- Adding a Klipfolio pre-built data source
- Adding a Klipfolio custom-built data source
- Creating a Klipfolio data source from scratch
- Creating a custom Klip
What options do I have for visualizing my Klipfolio data?
Create data visualizations based on pre-built options or build your own. The choice is yours!
Pre-built by Klipfolio
Take advantage of our pre-built data sources to gather the data most meaningful to you.
- Klipfolio pre-built data sources: Data sources provide the foundation for Klip building, so we suggest you create a data source as a first step (before building Klips and adding them to your dashboard). Our pre-built data sources focus on the most sought-after Klipfolio data and are found on the Service Connectors page, available from this link or from your list of data sources. When you select a service connector from this page, the data source for that service is automatically added.
Custom-built by you
Taking the time to learn how to create your own data sources and Klips unlocks your data and enables you to control, manipulate, and transform it, leading you to unprecedented insights into your business.
- Custom data sources: When you create a custom data source, you can either use the pre-built data source as a starting point from which to write your own query or you can write your own queries from the ground up and build a data source from scratch. You create custom-built data sources in the Service Connectors page, accessible from this link or from your list of data sources.
- Custom Klips: Using our Klip Editor, you can construct and manipulate your data, including integrating multiple data sources, to produce unique, custom-built data visualizations. You create custom Klips from either your list of Klips or your Dashboard.
Regardless of whether you choose pre-built, custom-built, or a combination of both, before you can start building Klips and dashboards you need to connect to Klipfolio data in Klipfolio.
How do I connect to my Klipfolio data?
To connect your Klipfolio data, you will need your API Key.
To get the right data from Klipfolio, you use your Klipfolio API Key in the queries provided by Klipfolio or in your own query when building data sources.
How do I find my Klipfolio API Key?
To find your Klipfolio API Key:
- Sign in to Klipfolio and click on your account name at the bottom-left of the homepage and click Account.
- On the General Information page, locate your API Key.
- If you have never generated a Klipfolio API key, click Edit > Generate New API Key.
- Copy your API Key and use it to access the data in your account.
How do I add a Klipfolio pre-built data source?
To add a Klipfolio pre-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page and choose Klipfolio from the list.
- Select a pre-built data source from the left section of the Pick a Data Request page.
- On the Configure Data Source page, paste in your Klipfolio API Key and, if applicable, select a Klipfolio Client from the drop-down list.
- Click Submit or, if you want to modify the pre-built data request, click Switch to Custom settings.
Note: If you switch back to the Basic settings page after making changes in the Custom settings page, your changes will not be saved.
If you clicked Switch to Custom settings:
- On the Configure Data Source page, modify the Query URL to get the data you want. You can use the existing information in the Query URL text box as a base. It was auto-filled based on the pre-built data source you selected on the Pick a Data Request page.
- Click Submit.
How do I create a Klipfolio custom-built data source?
To create a Klipfolio custom-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page in Klipfolio and choose Klipfolio from the list.
- On the Pick a Data Request page, click Create a custom Klipfolio data source.
- Edit the Query URL to return the data you need. Refer to the Klipfolio API documentation for details.
- At Parameters, under Value, enter your Klipfolio API Key.
- Click Submit.
If you want to edit a data source that you already created, check out How to edit or reconfigure a data source, and get step-by-step instructions.
How do I create a Klipfolio data source from scratch?
You can choose to build a data source from scratch. Here’s a quick overview video on APIs and Klipfolio:
If you need assistance using APIs, enlist a data analyst or developer.
Refer to the Klipfolio API documentation to discover more data requests.
When you are happy with your query, click Submit, and then save and name your new data source. You're now ready to use it to build a Klip.
See the reference table below for API related information and sample queries.
|API Documentation||Klipfolio API documentation|
|API Key Authentication|
Retrieve a list of all the clients in this account:
Retrieve all your client roles:
How do I create a custom Klip?
You create custom Klips from either your list of Klips or your Dashboard. You choose a data visualization format, for example, a pie chart, gauge, or table, and decide whether you want to use an existing data source or create a new one. In the Klip Editor, there are limitless opportunities to modify, relate, and display your data. See the following related articles for more information and get building!