Welcome to Klipfolio! We’re here to help you succeed with data.
This article introduces some Klipfolio PowerMetrics fundamentals to get you on the path to data discovery, including:
- Your data journey - an overview
- Connecting to your data
- Creating and modelling a data source
- Visualizing your data in a metric
- Exploring a metric
- Creating a metric dashboard
- Sharing a metric
- Finding help
Your data journey - an overview
On your Klipfolio data journey, you begin by discovering your data. Where is the data you want to visualize? Is it accessible from a cloud application, a local file, a cloud file sharing service, an SQL database, or an email attachment?
No matter where your data is, Klipfolio will help you connect to it and visualize it. Once your data is visualized, display it on a dashboard. Collaborate, learn, and grow by analyzing, sharing, and monitoring your data.
Connecting to your data
Klipfolio includes hundreds of built-in connectors for popular services - get inspired with a peek at our Connector Gallery. In addition, our flexible platform enables you to connect to data sources that don’t yet have built-in connectors.
Creating and modelling a data source
When you connect to your data, you bring that data into Klipfolio, resulting in a data source. Data sources are the foundation on which metrics are based. Metrics rely on modelled data sources, so before using a data source to build a custom metric, model it first. Learn more about modelling your data sources here.
We love to give you options, including when you’re creating data sources. You can either use one of our pre-built data sources or build your own custom data source:
- Pre-built data sources: Klipfolio offers hundreds of pre-built data sources that include the most commonly sought-after data points. For example, you can use our Google Analytics “Audience Metrics” pre-built data source to get a list of total monthly users, sessions, and page views for your company’s Google account.
- Custom data sources: If you need a unique set of data that’s not included in our pre-built data sources, you can write your own queries from scratch and create a custom data source. Before building a metric, streamline and simplify your data source by modelling it. This will make your data easier to understand and manipulate.
Watch this video to learn how to connect to your data and create a data source:
Visualizing your data in a metric
In Klipfolio, you visualize your data in metrics, like the one shown below. There are many chart types and styles available to choose from. For an introduction to our visualization options, go here.
You can either use one of our pre-built metrics as a starting point or build a custom metric from the ground up:
- Pre-built metrics: Using our pre-built "instant" metrics helps you visualize your data quickly.
- Custom metrics: When our pre-built options don’t quite match your needs, it’s time to do some building of your own!
No matter which option you choose, our flexible design features will help you build metrics quickly and communicate your business data effectively.
For more information on creating metrics, go here.
Tip: Practice building metrics using the sample data included in your Klipfolio account! Learn about sample metrics here.
Exploring a metric
After you create a metric, it’s time to explore your data. When exploring, you make personalization changes that are only visible to you. It’s a great way to experiment with and find the optimal visualization(s) before adding your metrics to a dashboard.
Watch this video to learn how to explore a metric:
For more information on exploring your metrics, go here.
Creating a metric dashboard
Now that you’ve built some metrics, it’s time to display them on a dashboard.
Metric dashboards are highly flexible, empowering you to create unique displays tailored to your specific needs and audience. A diverse set of configuration options means you can individualize each dashboard display. Add several views of a single metric and then apply different filters and segmentation to display your data from multiple perspectives, add text and images, set dashboard-wide date ranges and filters - there are so many possibilities for customization on a metric dashboard!
For more information on metric dashboards, go here.
Sharing a metric
You’ve got a story to tell! Sharing your metrics helps keep everyone informed and progressing toward common goals. It also encourages collaboration and discussion, leading to meaningful action.
You can share metrics and metric dashboards by:
- Sharing internally with individuals or groups in your account and, optionally, granting them editing rights.
- Sharing a link to your personal view to provide instant context.
Watch this video to learn how to share a metric:
For more information on sharing your metrics and dashboards, go here.
Looking for help? We've got it covered! Check our our free courses, sign up for a webinar, browse articles in our Knowledge Base, watch videos on our YouTube Channel, and contribute to and ask questions in our Community Forum. Learn about metrics, as defined by product experts, in MetricHQ. If you're stuck, contact our Support Team at email@example.com.