Want to compare data for multiple metrics within a single chart? This article shows you how to quickly and easily add multi-metric visualizations to a dashboard – with instant metrics!
Our example uses Google Analytics 4 "Page Views" and "Users" instant metrics.
- First, you'll add both instant metrics (Page Views and Users) to your account.
- Next, you'll add one of the instant metrics (Page Views) to a dashboard.
- Last, you'll add the second metric (Users) to create a chart that displays both metrics.
- This feature applies to metrics in Explorer and on dashboards, not to single metrics.
- You can add multiple metrics to almost all of our chart types. The only exceptions are: Pie, donut, summary, ranked table, tree map, and waterfall charts.
Adding Page Views and Users instant metrics
First you need to add the Google Analytics 4 Page Views and Users instant metrics to your account.
If this is your first time adding Google Analytics 4 instant metrics, you can go here for more detailed steps.
To add Google Analytics 4 Page Views and Users instant metrics:
- In the left navigation sidebar, click the + button beside Metrics.
- Depending on the options you see, either click Browse instant metrics and, on the Select a service page, click Google Analytics 4 OR on the Where is your data? page, select Google Analytics 4.
- Select the Page Views and Users instant metrics. (See below.)
- Click Add metrics.
- Select the Google Analytics 4 account you want to use and click Next.
- Select the account settings you want to use and click Use account.
Adding the Page Views metric to a dashboard
Now, you'll add the Page Views instant metric to a dashboard.
To add the Page Views metric to a dashboard:
- In the left navigation sidebar, click Metrics to open your list of metrics.
- From the list, select the Page Views instant metric you just added.
- Click the 3-dot menu in the upper right corner of the window, and select Add to dashboard. Then, either click +New dashboard or select an existing dashboard.
- Click Save.
Adding the Users metric to create a multi-metric chart
Now that you have a chart on your dashboard that includes a single instant metric (Page Views), you can add the second instant metric (Users) to it.
To add the Users metric:
- Click the Edit button in the upper-right corner of the dashboard.
- Click the Page Views metric chart.
- In the properties panel, click Data.
- Click the button beside Metrics (see below).
- In the Select metrics window, click the button beside Users.
Note: In this example, we're only adding 1 metric (for a total of 2 metrics) but you can add up to 4 metrics to a single metric chart (for a total of 5 metrics).
- Click Done.
Note that the default name applied to your multi-metric includes the name of each metric you added, in the order you added them, and in the order in which they display in your chart. You can modify the name later if desired.
- Optionally, modify the Aggregation method for the metrics by clicking their names and then making adjustments in the drop-down menu (see below).
- Click Save (to save the changes to the metric and the dashboard).
That's all there is to it! You now have a single chart on a dashboard that displays Google Analytics 4 Page Views and Users. (See below.)
Want to learn more about adding multiple metrics to a single visualization? Check out this in-depth Knowledge Base article.