You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and your Vimeo data to display your video metrics on a dashboard.
This article includes:
- Options for visualizing my Vimeo data
- Connecting my Vimeo data in Klipfolio
- Adding a Vimeo pre-built or custom-built data source
- Creating a Vimeo data source from scratch
- Creating a Vimeo custom Klip
What options do I have for visualizing my Vimeo data?
Create data visualizations based on pre-built options or build your own. The choice is yours!
Pre-built by Klipfolio
Take advantage of our pre-built data sources to gather the data most meaningful to you.
- Vimeo pre-built data sources: Data sources provide the foundation for Klip building, so we suggest you create a data source as a first step (before building Klips and adding them to your dashboard). Our pre-built data sources focus on the most sought-after Vimeo data and are found on the Service Connectors page. When you select a service connector from this page, the data source for that service is automatically added.
Custom built by you
Taking the time to learn how to create your own data sources and Klips unlocks your data and enables you to control, manipulate, and transform it, leading you to unprecedented insights into your business.
- Custom data sources: When you create a custom data source, you can either use the pre-built data source as a starting point from which to write your own query or you can write your own queries from the ground up and build a data source from scratch. You create custom-built data sources from either the Library or the Service Connectors page.
- Custom Klips: Using our Klip Editor, you can construct and manipulate your data, including integrating multiple data sources, to produce unique, custom-built data visualizations. You create custom Klips from either your Library or your Dashboard.
Regardless of whether you choose pre-built, custom-built, or a combination of both, before you can start building Klips and dashboards you need to:
How do I connect to Vimeo data in Klipfolio?
When you connect your Vimeo data to Klipfolio, you will be prompted to connect your Vimeo account by entering your username and password.
Doing so will create a token that enables Klipfolio to securely access your Vimeo account. Your token looks like George@Vimeo. You can use and reuse the same token every time you connect to Vimeo.
Depending on the data your are looking for, you might need to find your Vimeo Album ID and User ID (for users other than yourself). See the notes in How do I add a Vimeo pre-built or custom-built data source? section for details.
How do I add a Vimeo pre-built or custom-built data source?
To add a Vimeo pre-built or custom-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page in Klipfolio and choose Vimeo from the list.
- Select a pre-built data source from the left section of the Pick a Data Request page. Alternatively, if you want to create a custom-built data source, click Create a custom Vimeo data source.
- If this is your first time connecting to Vimeo:
- Click Connect an Account. Enter your Vimeo login credentials and click Next. If prompted, click Allow Access to enable Klipfolio to securely access your Vimeo data. Click Next Step.
- If you have connected with Vimeo before:
- Select an existing connection (token) from the drop-down list and click Next Step.
- Adjust the Query URL information, as noted on the New Data Source page, to replace any generic placeholder data with your own. For example, replace <userID> and/or <albumID> with the appropriate IDs.
- If you are creating a custom-built data source, edit the Query URL further to return the data you need. Refer to the Vimeo API documentation if you need help.
- Click Get Resource.
If you want to edit a data source that you already created, check out How to edit or reconfigure a data source, and get step-by-step instructions.
Note: Depending on the data request, you may need to run the My Albums pre-built data request to get the Album ID. Also, if you want to get data on a user other than yourself, you need to run the My followers pre-built data request to obtain their User ID (You can retrieve it from the results that display after you click Get Resource).
How do I create a Vimeo data source from scratch?
You can choose to build a data source from scratch. Klipfolio connects to hundreds of services in the cloud that have a REST API. If you take the time to learn your service’s API to create queries for the data you want, your possibilities are endless. Here’s a quick overview video on APIs and Klipfolio:
If you need help using APIs, enlist a data analyst or developer.
Refer to the Vimeo API Documentation to discover more data requests.
When you are happy with your query, click Get Resource, and then save and name your new data source. You're now ready to use it to build a Vimeo Klip.
See the reference table below for API related information and sample queries.
|API Documentation||Vimeo API documentation|
|Authentication Method||OAuth Token Authentication|
|API Limits and Notes||Limit your results to 100 by including in the query
Example latest 100 videos in descending order:
For a list of all channels:
How do I create a Vimeo custom Klip?
You create custom Klips from either your Library or your Dashboard. You choose a data visualization format, for example, a pie chart, gauge, or table, and decide whether you want to use an existing data source or create a new one. In the Klip Editor, there are limitless opportunities to modify, relate, and display your data. See the following related articles for more information and get building!