OAuth Token authentication is an open standard for authentication and is used as a security measure when retrieving data from web services. Many third-party services require an OAuth token to be passed with the API request to ensure that the server requesting the data is safe.
When working with Klipfolio, OAuth tokens will be generated upon request as part of the connection workflow. They are stored for future use in your account, under Account > Connected Accounts. This is also where you manage your OAuth tokens (view, share, re-authorize, and delete).
Connecting to your data using the REST/URL connector
To connect to your data using the REST/URL connector, you need to:
- Write a query by referring to the service provider's API documentation.
- Create and save a data source in Klipfolio.
Step 1: Write a query
Some API connection requests are free and open to the public. However, depending on the service provider, you may need to:
- Have an account with the service provider.
- Contact the service provider to grant you API request permissions.
- Contact the service provider to receive an authentication token.
- Pay an API access fee.
To learn more about these requirements and how to write your query, refer to the service provider’s API documentation. Once you have a query, you will copy and paste it into Klipfolio, when creating and saving your data source. See the following section for details.
Step 2: Create and save a data source
Note that the following procedure assumes you have an existing OAuth token for the service from which you want to get data. If you need help, refer to the instructions for the relevant service in this section of our Knowledge Base.
To create and save a data source in Klipfolio:
- Click the + button beside Data Sources in the left navigation sidebar.
If you don’t see the above option, go to the bottom of the left navigation sidebar and click your Account Name > Data Sources instead. Then, click the Create a New Data Source button.
- On the Where is your data? page, under Additional options, click REST/URL.
- On the Configure your data source page, at Query URL, paste your query into the text box.
- Select a Data Format (JSON, XML, CSV, or Excel).
- At Method, select the method required by the API (GET or POST).
- Expand Query Parameters and enter settings as required by the API (many APIs do not require any). Type a Name and Value for each parameter required and set one of the following Types:
- Query - This is equivalent to the parameters in an API query. You can either include them in the URL or in this section.
- Header - If required by the API (for example, Smartsheets), add parameters to the query Header.
- Cookie - If required by the API, Cookie parameters are used for session-related data.
- Expand the Authentication (OAuth, 2-Step, X-WSSE, or Basic) menu.
- At Type, select OAuth Token.
- At Use Existing, select an existing token from the drop-down list.
- Click Get data.
- Ensure this is the data you’re looking for and, optionally, select the checkbox to Model your data. Learn more about modelling your data source here.
- Click Continue.
- Name, choose refresh settings, and, optionally, share your data source.
- Click Save.
Learn more about OAuth authentication
- Why did my OAuth token expire?
- Managing OAuth tokens for connected accounts
- Why does Klipfolio need special permissions to connect my service accounts?
- Setting up redirection of OAuth authentication to another domain