You create modelled data sources in the Modeller. With modelled data sources, you can use formulas and properties to organize and restructure your data. Using modelled data sources simplifies Klip building and enables you to reuse settings and calculations across multiple Klips. You clarify and organize your data in the Modeller, including converting tree structured data into tabular data, and then use the modelled data source to build a Klip in the Klip Editor.
To create a modelled data source:
- Click Library at the top of your homepage.
- Select the Data Sources tab.
- Click on the data source you want to model.
- Click Convert to Modelled Format. You will be redirected to the Modeller.
Note: Modelling dynamic data sources is not currently supported.
Setting properties for a modelled data source
The Model Properties display on the right side of the Modeller and are used to select general settings for your model, including the following:
- Name: Type a name for your model here. You can also hover and click on the title at the top-left of your page to name your model. The name you choose will display for your modelled data in the Klip Editor and help you identify your modelled data source in your Library.
- Description: Type a description for your model here to identify its purpose.
- Column Names: Choose the row number that contains the title of your data columns from the drop-down list.
- Remove Rows: Enable Trim data before row to choose the row number you want your data to start with in the model. For example, if you choose 5, the data in your model will start with row 5 and onwards.
- Add All Data from Data Source: This option enables you to add all columns from your raw data source to the modelled data source with one click. This option is only available for tabular data.
In the Modeller workspace, add individual columns to your modelled data source using the + button. Select a column of data from your raw data source to populate the new column. If you are using tree-structured data you must add each column of your modelled data source individually.
Access the 3-dot menu on the right-side of each column name to remove a column, move it left or right, or rename it.
Setting column properties for a modelled data source
The Column Properties panel displays on the right-side of the Modeller when an individual column is selected. Set properties and align your data by choosing a Data Format and a Name for each column.
- Name: The column name you choose will display in the Klip Editor. Name each column by entering a name or by selecting the column and hovering over the column name. You can also name your column using the 3-dot menu beside the column name.
- Data Format: Choose one of the following data types for each column:
- Text: Textual data is denoted by ABC next to the column name.
- Number: Numeric data is denoted by 123 next to the column name.
- Currency: Data formatted as Currency is denoted by a currency symbol, $.
- Date/Time: Date/time data is denoted by DATE next to the column name. When choosing this data format, you can optionally set your date/time formats using the Input Format menu and Display Format menu. When you choose your Display Format it will be reflected in your data column. You can also set your timezone here. You can either use your default account level time zone or set a different one.
Writing calculations for a modelled data source
You write calculations using functions and references in the formula bar. The formula bar in the Modeller works the same as the formula bar in the Klip Editor.
Learn more about using the formula bar here.
Saving a modelled data source
When you are finished creating your modelled data source, make sure to Save and Exit. You can always go back and edit your model later.
To edit a modelled data source:
- Click on Library.
- Select the Data Sources tab.
- Click on the modelled data source.
- Click Edit model.
Note: If you make changes to a modelled data source and save, all Klips that use that modelled data source will be automatically updated.
Building a Klip using a modelled data source
Once you have created a modelled data source, you can build Klips with the modelled data source. You can do this by either going to the About this Modelled data source page in your Library and clicking Build a Klip with this Model or in the Klip Editor by clicking +Add Data Source and selecting the modelled data source.
Drag a component to your Klip workspace and begin assigning data columns to your component. References to modelled data source columns are denoted by a @ and the column name.