This article contains answers to the following questions:
- What do I do if my unmodelled data source is altered?
- Why were all my columns not added?
- How do I model my data if it’s in multiple sheets?
- Why can’t I select my date column when creating a PowerMetric?
What do I do if my unmodelled data source is altered?
When editing your modelled data source, you may see warning icons in your column headers and the following error message:
This message displays when there is a change to the unmodelled data source.
- When the name of a column in your unmodelled data source has changed
- When the order of the columns in your unmodelled data source has changed
- If a column has been deleted from your unmodelled data source
Click on columns with warning icons and look under Column Properties to see more details. To resolve the issue, ensure your formulas are pointing to the expected spot in the unmodelled data source. For example, if column CC in your unmodelled data source is deleted, you need to delete column CC in the modelled data source and ensure the columns that follow are properly aligned. You can double-click any column to view your unmodelled data source. Once you have made the necessary changes, click Save and Exit to dismiss the warning.
If any of your columns display error icons, it indicates that your modelled data source is unable to reference data from the unmodelled data source.
- The unmodelled data source may have been partially deleted or deleted in its entirety.
- There may be an issue with the formula(s) used in your modelled data source.
Why were all my columns not added?
After creating a modelled data source, you may notice that not all your columns were automatically added.
For performance reasons, when modelling, Klipfolio automatically adds only the first 30 columns of a data source. You can add remaining columns, maximum of 30 at a time, by clicking the Add all columns from data source button in the toolbar. When modelling a data source for a new PowerMetric, click the Edit icon to access the toolbar.
To avoid adding unnecessary columns:
- Remove any non-essential columns.
- If you have columns that contain no data, add specific columns rather than adding all columns at once. To add individual columns, click the Add column button in the toolbar.
How do I model my data if it’s in multiple sheets?
If you have a multi-sheet data source, for example an Excel file that has data in multiple sheets, you can access the data in the other sheets when modelling your data source.
After bringing in your multi-sheet data source, double-click a column to select it. You can select the sheet you want to add data from by using the Sheet drop-down menu on the right side. You can use this drop-down to switch between sheets when writing formulas and creating models.
Why can’t I select my date column when creating a PowerMetric?
When creating a PowerMetric, you have the option to add date and time values by selecting a date column from your data source. The column in your data source that contains your date/time values needs to be set to the Date data format so it can be selected when building your PowerMetric.
Learn more about setting column data formats here.