You can share your dashboards with others by publishing links that provide view-only access. Publishing a link to your dashboard makes your dashboard accessible to people outside your account.
This article includes:
- What are my options for published links?
- How many links can I publish?
- What happens if I exceed my limit of published links?
- How do I publish links to a dashboard?
- How do I manage my published links?
- Related articles
When publishing a link to your dashboard, you choose from the following options:
- Make it public and available via search
- Make it available to anyone with the link
- Make it available to anyone with the link and a password
Please review the information in the following table before deciding which option is best for you. Note that all 3 options provide a link to your dashboard but how the link can be accessed by others differs for each option.
|Public and available via search||Available to anyone with access to the link||Available to anyone with access to the link and a password|
|Security||None||The link is required to view your dashboard. You can optionally leverage IP Range Restrictions if you have enabled them for your account.||The link and password are required to view your dashboard. You can optionally leverage IP Range Restrictions if you have enabled them for your account.|
|SEO Findable / Indexed by Search Engines||
The URL is indexable by search engines. Note: A link to any Public URL may appear on the Klipfolio website.
Uses a URL with a unique identifier. A 'no index' code is embedded in the page to prevent indexing by search engine robots.
|Klipfolio Branding*||Yes - Klipfolio logo/powered by Klipfolio is always visible.||Branding is not visible if you have paid for the White Label feature and use custom CSS.||Branding is not visible if you have paid for the White Label feature and use custom CSS.|
|Social Sharing||Optional icons that, for example, link to Twitter, LinkedIn, Email, and Facebook.||Optional icons that, for example, link to Twitter, LinkedIn, Email, and Facebook.||Optional icons that, for example, link to Twitter, LinkedIn, Email, and Facebook.|
|Publicly referable by Klipfolio||Yes. A link to a Public URL may appear on the Klipfolio website.||No||No|
|Example Use Case||Dashboard of social responsibility activity to share with all shareholders and the market. Municipal capital works status, 311 performance status or operating budget status to share with residents.||Share your sales dashboard with your internal sales team. (Do not want this public or searchable but also don't want to require a password.)||Share internal key business metrics dashboard with a broader management team inside your organization. (Add a password and optional IP Range protected). Share a password protected dashboard with your board of directors. (Password protected but no IP Range Restriction)|
*The footer for ALL publicly available links will show “powered by Klipfolio” branding with a link to Klipfolio.com, even for accounts with White Labeling. By default the public link option is not enabled when creating clients for White Label accounts to help avoid accidental exposure of the Klipfolio brand.
- If you choose to make your dashboard publicly available via search, it will be accessible to anyone on the Internet, even if you don't share the link with them. Your dashboard could appear in search results. We strongly advise you to confirm you have all the appropriate rights and permissions to publish this dashboard and the data it contains before making it publicly available.
- Data source warnings and error indicators are not displayed when you view dashboards via published links. As a result, link viewers will not be notified if the dashboard is not displaying the most current data.
The number of published links available depends on the number of dashboards included in your pricing plan. If you have questions, contact email@example.com.
When you reach your limit of published links, you will not be able to create more until you either make space by deleting existing published links (until you are below the limit for your account) or you can contact Klipfolio to upgrade your plan or discuss other options.
To publish links to your dashboards, you need to have a role with the permission to publish links. This permission is included in the Admin role by default. The permission can also be included in custom roles. For more details on permissions, go here.
To publish a link to a dashboard:
- On the dashboard you want to share via published link, click the three-dot menu icon.
- Click Share > Publish link to dashboard.
- In the Publish link to Dashboard screen, enter a Dashboard Name.
- Select the Theme (Light or Dark) in which you want your dashboard to display.
- At Visibility, select one of the following:
- Public and available via search, if you want the dashboard to be publicly accessible via search engines. You will be provided with a link that you can share with others for their direct access. Note that a link to a public URL can appear on the Klipfolio website. A default meta tag description displays in the text box but you can optionally choose to enter your own descriptive text.
- Anyone with the link, if you want the dashboard to be accessible to anyone with the link only (no password required). Anyone with the public link can view your dashboard but it is not indexed or searchable. You can improve security by implementing IP Range restrictions, without requiring a password. Note that this option is selected by default.
- Anyone with the link and this password, if you want the dashboard to be accessible to anyone with the link and a password. If you choose this option, enter a password in the text field.
All links in your account count toward your limit, even if they are disabled. If you have reached your link limit and need to free some up to publish more, you need to delete unused links. Disabling links doesn’t reduce your link count.
To manage (view, disable, and delete) published links for a dashboard:
- On the dashboard for which you want to manage published links, click the three-dot menu icon.
- Click Share > Manage published links to dashboard.
- Click View, Disable, or Delete, depending on the action you want to perform.
- To edit link properties, click the Name of the dashboard and modify the selections in the Edit Published Link to Dashboard screen.
To manage (view, disable, and delete) all of your published links:
- Click Account > Usage > Published Links to manage all published links for your account. You require the View account usage permission, which is granted to the Admin role by default.