You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and your Google BigQuery data to display your projects metrics on a dashboard.
This article includes:
- Options for visualizing my Google BigQuery data
- Connecting my Google BigQuery data in Klipfolio
- Adding a Google BigQuery pre-built or custom built data source
- Creating a Google BigQuery custom Klip
What options do I have for visualizing my Google BigQuery data?
Create data visualizations based on the example query or build your own. The choice is yours!
Pre-built by Klipfolio
Take advantage of our pre-built data sources to gather the data most meaningful to you.
- Google BigQuery pre-built data sources: Data sources provide the foundation for Klip building, so we suggest you create a data source as a first step (before building Klips and adding them to your dashboard). Our pre-built data sources focus on the most sought-after Google BigQuery data and are found on the Service Connectors page. When you select a service connector from this page, the data source for that service is automatically added.
Custom-built by you
Taking the time to learn how to create your own data sources and Klips unlocks your data and enables you to control, manipulate, and transform it, leading you to unprecedented insights into your business.
- Custom data sources: When you create a custom data source, you can either use the pre-built data source as a starting point from which to write your own query or you can write your own queries from the ground up and build a data source from scratch. You add custom-built data sources from either the Library or the Service Connectors page.
- Custom Klips: Using our Klip Editor, you can construct and manipulate your data, including integrating multiple data sources, to produce unique, custom-built data visualizations. You create custom Klips from either your Library or your Dashboard.
Regardless of whether you choose pre-built, custom-built, or a combination of both, before you can start building Klips and dashboards you need to:
- Run a query in the Query Editor page in your Google BigQuery account.
- Copy that query into Klipfolio and connect your Google BigQuery data.
How do I connect to Google BigQuery data in Klipfolio?
When you connect your Google BigQuery data to Klipfolio, you will be prompted to connect your Google BigQuery account by entering your username and password.
Doing so will create a token that enables Klipfolio to securely access your Google BigQuery account. Your token looks like George @ Google. You can use and reuse the same token every time you connect to Google BigQuery.
Note: You manage your connections (tokens) to Google BigQuery in Klipfolio under Connected Accounts in the Account section.
How do I add a Google BigQuery pre-built or custom-built data source?
To add a Google BigQuery pre-built or custom-built data source:
- Navigate to the Service Connectors page in Klipfolio and choose Google BigQuery from the list.
- Select Sample Query - Life Expectancy by Country from the left section of the Pick a Data Request page. Alternatively, if you want to create a custom-built data source, click Create a custom Google BigQuery data source.
- If this is your first time connecting to Google:
- Click Connect an Account. Enter your Google BigQuery login credentials and click Next. If prompted, click Allow Access to enable Klipfolio to securely access your Google BigQuery data. Click Next Step.
- If you have connected with Google BigQuery before:
- Select an existing connection (token) from the drop-down list and click Next Step.
- On the New Data Source page, select a Project from the drop-down menu.
- With the BigQuery SQL Request Option selected, copy your SQL query from the Google BigQuery Query Editor, and paste it in the SQL Query box in Klipfolio.
- Click Get Data.
You now have a tabular Google BigQuery data source.
API Reference table
|API documentation||Google BigQuery API documentation|
|Authentication Method||OAuth token authentication|
The image below displays a Google BigQuery SQL query and its results in Klipfolio:
How do I create a Google BigQuery custom Klip?
You create custom Klips from either your Library or your Dashboard. You choose a data visualization format, for example, a pie chart, gauge, or table, and decide whether you want to use an existing data source or create a new one. In the Klip Editor, there are limitless opportunities to modify, relate, and display your data. See the following related articles for more information and get building!