You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and Salesforce to display your Sales metrics on a dashboard. This article includes:
- Options for visualizing your Salesforce data
- How to connect to Salesforce data in Klipfolio
- How to connect to Salesforce Sandbox data in Klipfolio
- Building a custom Salesforce dashboard (using Salesforce Reports or Salesforce Object Query Language (SOQL))
- Accessing pre-built Klips
- Accessing pre-built dashboards
What options do I have for visualizing my Salesforce data?
You have many options for visualizing your Salesforce data in Klipfolio:
- You can build a custom Salesforce dashboard using Salesforce Reports or SOQL queries.
- To get started right away with some pre-built content, check out the Klip Gallery for individual Klips, or the Dashboard Gallery for pre-built dashboards, such as the new Salesforce Daily Overview Dashboard template (currently in BETA).
Regardless of the option you choose, before you can start building Klips and dashboards, you need to:
- Ensure you have Salesforce Lightning Enterprise or higher or Salesforce Lightning Professional with the API access add-on.
- Connect to Salesforce data in Klipfolio.
How do I connect to Salesforce data in Klipfolio?
When you connect your Salesforce data to Klipfolio, you will be prompted to connect your Salesforce account by entering your username and password.
Doing so will create your authentication token that enables Klipfolio to securely access your Salesforce account. It looks like George @ Salesforce. You can use and reuse the same authentication token every time you connect to Salesforce.
How do I connect to Salesforce Sandbox data in Klipfolio?
If you have access to a Salesforce Sandbox account, you can use the Salesforce Sandbox connector from the Connector Gallery in Klipfolio.
The process of connecting to Salesforce Sandbox is exactly the same as connecting to a Salesforce account, so be sure to follow the steps in this article. The only difference is that you are authenticating with your Salesforce Sandbox account credentials and retrieving Sandbox data, rather than connecting to your regular Salesforce account.
After selecting Salesforce Sandbox from the list, you will be prompted to connect your account by entering your Salesforce Sandbox username and password (it is typically a different username and password from a regular Salesforce account).
How do I build a custom Salesforce dashboard?
You can build a custom Salesforce dashboard using either of the following methods:
- Choose a Salesforce report
- Build a SOQL query
Choosing a Salesforce report
The Salesforce report option enables you to access all your Tabular and Summary Salesforce Reports and base your data visualization on information contained in those reports.
When running data through the Salesforce API, tabular reports can handle up to 2000 rows of data. Tabular reports display detailed “record-level” information, for example, every new sale today with all details. Summary reports show “aggregate-level” information that could be based on >2000 rows of data, for example, the number of opportunities for a specific region or total revenue for this month.
The “Choose a Salesforce report” method is preferable when:
- The data you are accessing exists in the same Salesforce Object or in a Custom Report Type.
- You have a limited number of API calls within your Salesforce organization and want to preserve them for other integrations or uses.
Note: The Salesforce API returns a maximum of 2000 rows for a report. If your Salesforce query exceeds this limit, you can either:
- Apply filters to your data in Salesforce to limit the amount of data returned,
- Try using a Summary Report provided you don’t need specific record-level details, or
- Use the Build a SOQL Query option to return the full set of data.
To choose a Salesforce report:
- In Klipfolio, on the New Data Source page for Salesforce, at Retrieval Method, select Salesforce Report.
- At Retrieval Format, select how you want your data formatted: Summary data (CSV) for tabular summary reports, Detailed data (CSV) for tabular reports, or Raw Data (JSON).
- Choose a report from the list and click Select Report.
- Verify that the data returned is what you want and click Continue.
- Enter the name and description, set the refresh rate and click Save.
Note: By default, the original report name in Salesforce is set as the name of the data source in Klipfolio, and the Report ID is set as the description.
Tip: For reports to display in the list of reports within Klipfolio, you must view and Run Report in Salesforce. This will mark it as a recently viewed report.
To check if your Salesforce query is returning the full set of data:
- Change the Retrieval Format drop-down list item to Raw Data (JSON).
- Select the desired report.
- In the data returned, check the allData field:
Building a SOQL query
The “Build a SOQL query” method is preferable when:
- The data you are accessing exists across different Salesforce Objects and you don’t have custom reports that enable you to relate multiple objects. SOQL enables you to query related objects.
- You need to process data that exceeds 2000 rows.
- You want to pull more detailed information from the History Objects, for example, AccountHistory, LeadHistory, and OpportunityHistory. This is especially useful when you only have access to standard, out-of-the-box Salesforce reports.
After selecting Salesforce from the list in the Connector Gallery in Klipfolio, there are two ways you get Salesforce data using SOQL:
- To get started faster and easier, use the pre-built SOQL queries in the Salesforce connector in the Connector Gallery, or,
- Write your own SOQL query (see steps below).
To build your own SOQL query,
- In Klipfolio, on the New Data Source page for Salesforce, at Retrieval Method, select SOQL.
- At Retrieval Format, select Tabular data (CSV) or Raw data (JSON).
- Enter your SOQL query. Here are some example queries:
- Click Submit.
How do I access pre-built Klips?
In the Klip Gallery you can browse individual Salesforce pre-built Klips and add them to your dashboard. You replace the sample data that is included in pre-built Klips with your own Salesforce data by clicking the menu in the Klip and selecting Connect your data. If needed, refer to this article for some troubleshooting tips.
How do I access pre-built dashboards?
Klipfolio’s Salesforce Daily Overview Dashboard helps your team measure the pulse of the business. It’s the dashboard you’ll look at for 10 seconds, 20 times a day to answer your questions. How are we doing today? How are we doing this month? Who are our newest customers? Harness your sales data and get your whole team on the same page!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to gain access to the Salesforce Daily Overview Dashboard (BETA).