You can set up a connection between Klipfolio and your spreadsheet to show your data on a dashboard.
What are my visualization options?
You have the following options for visualizing your spreadsheet data:
- Create a custom Klip by selecting the relevant option on the Service Connectors page.
- Create a custom metric by clicking the + beside Metrics in the left navigation sidebar and selecting the option you want to use to upload your spreadsheet files (see below).
- Access pre-built Klip dashboards, featuring Excel spreadsheets, from the Dashboard Gallery.
How do I upload spreadsheet files?
Following is a list of the most common methods for uploading spreadsheet files to Klipfolio:
Before connecting to your spreadsheet data
Here are some important things to note when connecting to your spreadsheet data:
- Google Sheets: Soon we'll be adding official support for Google Sheet formulas. Until then, some Google Sheet functions, such as ARRAYFORMULA, are not supported. If your Google Sheet includes unsupported formulas, and you import it into Klipfolio, the associated cells will be empty. If this happens, you can work around the issue by running your Google Sheet through Excel (which converts the data to use Excel functions) and then resaving it as a Google Sheet before importing it into Klipfolio.
- Sheet name: After you've successfully connected your spreadsheet with Klipfolio, do not change the sheet name. If you change your sheet name and re-upload the spreadsheet, the Klip or metric will continue to look for data using the old sheet name, and as a result, your formulas will break.
- Pivot tables: Klipfolio recommends using Excel without pivot tables. Excel pivot tables may not work and are not supported by Klipfolio.
- Unsupported formats: Financial and Scientific formats are not supported by Klipfolio. If your Excel file includes these formats, remove them before uploading your file.
- Unsupported Excel features: Excel software features such as worksheet links and macros are not supported. Some Excel functions are not supported and may be removed on import.
Best practices and tips
Selecting data in the Klip Editor to enable automatic updates
Selecting data using the column or row header allows you to assign an unlimited range of values to your Klip (ex: A:A, or 1:1). This method tells the Klip to use all values in that column or row. If new values are added to that range, they will automatically be included in your Klip.
For example, you select column B, and the values in the spreadsheet are "Age, 4, 45, 84, 50, 23". Let's say the spreadsheet data is updated, and the values in A:A are now "Age, 4, 45, 84, 50, 23, 60", all values including the additional values will be used in your Klip.
To make a range selection, click on the column or row header with your mouse. (See below.)
Removing column titles
If you want to remove the column title from your data selection, in the Klip Editor, use the Filter action (located on the Properties panel) to Exclude the title from your list of data.
Selecting multiple sheets
If your spreadsheet has multiple sheets associated with it, you can select those sheets in the Klip Editor or when modelling a data source (for use in Klips or metrics) using the sheet selection menu.
Manipulating data with formulas and functions
As with all data sources, you can manipulate your data using math operators, formulas and functions. Check out Tips for using the formula bar to learn more.